MIAMI, Sept. 13 (Xinhua) -- The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) said Monday it is open to plans to stage the FIFA World Cup every two years.
The announcement comes as FIFA considers a proposal that could see football's showpiece event and continental championships held every year on an alternating basis.
"Our initial analysis is that we recognize the merits of creating entirely new international men's, women's, and youth football calendars which are underpinned by fewer international windows, reduced travel for players, friendlies being replaced by meaningful matches, and a more balanced structure for the overall benefit of football development globally," CONCACAF said in a statement.
"We will continue to look at these proposals constructively, with an open mind, and in the spirit of positive engagement."
According to Arsene Wenger, FIFA's chief of global football development, the plan is currently the subject of a feasibility study and could be approved by December.
CONCACAF said all of the sport's global stakeholders should be fully consulted before any decision is made.
"Football in all parts of the world should be given an equal opportunity to play a part in the development of what is a FIFA international football calendar," the Miami-based entity said.
"Now is not the time for fear mongering and neither is it right that this process should be dominated by the interests of a few, or that more weight should be given to one particular region over others.
"We encourage not only our fellow Confederations but also all members of the global football family to come together and work collaboratively to create FIFA calendars and competitions that have benefits for the development of the game in all regions across the world."
Last week, the European football governing body UEFA and its South American counterpart CONMEBOL both said they were against the proposal.